ESI Works is now hiring a Head of Upper School in Miami, FL.
Head of School is a significant leadership position in a community. A person in such a role is entrusted with many important concerns of the people: their children’s lives, the reputation of the community as one that cares about education, a substantial financial trust of public monies, and the future viability of the community and ultimately the nation through the work of passing on civilization to the people’s posterity.
QUALITIES AND CHARACTERISTICS:
- Leadership. Specifically, the ability to discern ends that fulfill the nature and purpose of the organization, and to chart a course to reach those ends; the ability to inform and inspire people to follow, to commit, to take responsibility, to perform, and to cooperate in an effective manner that will mobilize the resources of the organization so that it can follow the course laid out before it by the leader; and the ability to raise up leaders in an organization.
- Intellectual depth and seriousness with a bias toward the life of the mind, befitting of the leader of an academic institution. A love of learning demonstrated by the on-going personal pursuit of knowledge and the passion to share knowledge with others.
- A commitment to school reform, energized with courage and governed by prudence.
- Generates trust and confidence by others in his or her leadership by exhibiting the following behaviors and characteristics: integrity, transparency, clear communication, truthfulness, decisiveness, listening, equanimity, collaboration, approachable, winsomeness, kindness, and humility
- High moral character.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- A broad understanding of the classical liberal arts, its roots in the Western tradition, and its historical presence in American education prior to the 20th
- An understanding of the ills that plague contemporary primary and secondary schools and the root causes of those problems.
- Knowledge of the craft of the teacher, and the ability to teach well.
- The ability to coach teachers to greater degrees of effectiveness in the classroom.
- The ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written forms.
- The ability to maintain a high degree of energy and personal productivity, and to effectively manage the productivity of others. The ability to prioritize and get things done.
- A general understanding of personnel management principles, including recruiting and hiring, supervising and evaluating, and individual and organizational development.
- The intellectual and emotional strength, mental agility, and durability to have difficult conversations.
- A general understanding of financial management principles, including planning a budget and managing to it throughout a school year, auditing, and controls.
- An understanding of the school’s respective state accountability system for K-12 public schools and laws relevant to charter schools.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide general management of academic school operations.
- Observe teachers at defined intervals, document results, and provide feedback as coach and supervisor.
- Report at regular board meetings on the status of academic operations and plans for upcoming activities.
- Represent the school as the senior executive academic leader in interactions with the public, the school constituencies, the authorizer, and other government agencies.
- Possession of a Master’s degree or higher in Education or in one or more of the liberal arts.
- Minimum of three (3) years teaching experience at the K-12 or college level.
- Florida certification in Educational Leadership, School Principal, Administration, or Administration and Supervision.
- Prior experience leading a classical liberal arts school, ideally K-12, with demonstrated success e.g., producing favorable academic outcomes over time.
- Prior experience opening a new, public charter school and managing its student, faculty, and facility growth and expansion over time.
All applicants are encouraged to apply directly on this page, or call 888.246.6066 for more information. Thank you for your interest in this position.